1) High fever and/or convulsions
2) Moderate to severe cardiomyopathy
4) Extreme debility with loss of skin elasticity
5) Women during pregnancy
6) Very young children or weak elderly people
Book of Prophetic Traditions (Bukhari : Volume 7, Book 71, Number 584)
The therapist will show you a small cup that will be placed either on the area/s of pain or on specific points of your body to promote healing or detoxification.
You will undergo one or more of the following treatments:
*Dry Hijama: One or more cups are placed on the body with suction for up to half an hour.
*Massage Hijama: Oil is applied to allow the cup to be moved over the body with suction.
*Wet (blood) Hijama: This is the same as Dry Hijama only with small scratches under the cup to extract toxic blood. This is the most effective treatment.
The best advice is to fast; however, some people are unwell or feel very weak when fasting. It is better not to eat for at least 2-3 hours before treatment so that the body is not occupied with digesting food. It is best to eat healthy food 24 hours before and after treatment.
• Prepare for your treatment by doing extra housework, cooking, and/or work so you can rest later.
• If you are going to have it done on your head or other hairy body parts e.g. legs/chest area, it is advisable to shave these areas prior to having the procedure. This prevents the possibility of the cups not holding onto to the relevant area.
• Ensure you advise the practitioner who will be doing the cupping, of your full medical history.
• Keep warm; do not allow the areas that have been treated to be exposed to the wind, water or cold
• Have a warm shower and eat after showering.
• Try not to eat meat and dairy products for the next 24 hours. This is because these items take up 40% of your body’s energy to digest, and this energy is needed to rejuvenate your body after having the treatment.
• Try not to have coffee, tea, and fizzy drinks for the next 24 hours.
• Drink plenty of fresh fruit juice.
• No marital relationship for 24 hours.
1. Please be on time! You may lose you appointment or cut your treatment time by arriving late. It is better to arrive earlier than later. Money is not reimbursed once a patient has been booked in.
2. Please bring your consultation sheet. (you can download one here) If you do not have one then please arrive at least half an hour early so you can fill one out.
3. Please relax and do not worry. If you are tense it will not help your treatment. Deep breathing and having a positive attitude will help you to calm down.
4. If coming by car get someone to come with you and drive. You are advised not to drive immediately after the treatment (after wet cupping).
Points to Consider:
• It may take several cupping sessions before any benefit is seen for certain ailments, however it is shown that pain relief is almost instant.
• Nothing is the same for everyone and each person will be assessed and advised accordingly.
• Actions are but by intention, so intend to have Hijama to follow the Sunnah and thereby attain benefit.